Instagram

Thursday 24 March 2016

Living With Depression


I wanted to write a post about this because it's been a very prominent factor in my life for a few years now. Not everybody understands depression and how it can affect people, and sometimes that makes it harder for the person suffering. Here's a few things you should understand about living with depression.

"Depression is living in a body that fights to survive, with a mind that is trying to die."


It is not a choice. It is not a phase. We cannot just make it come and go as we please. It's an illness that can follow you for your whole life. Sometimes medication works, sometimes it doesn't - it took me about a year to find the right medication for me!

Depression isn't sadness. It's not about crying over something that's happened - everybody cries! Most of the time, I can't even shed a tear because I just feel numb. It's much stronger than the feeling of sadness, which makes it so much harder to fix.

It isn't our fault, we didn't ask for it. The demons inside our heads are constantly telling us that we are to blame, but it isn't true. We need the people around us to help reassure us of that!

We are not attention seeking in any way at all. Most people living with depression suffer in silence for months, years, some may even keep it to themselves forever! That voice in our heads repeatedly tells us that we are a burden to everyone and that no one cares to listen to us - reach out to people who may be suffering, they will appreciate it more than you think! Make them feel valued and let them know that they're problems are worthy of help.

It isn't about just putting on a smile and having a good day. Relapse occurs frequently because it's a bloody hard fight to beat those demons. It takes everything to just fight for a normal life, happiness is even harder. Give those people who are fighting the credit they deserve, because they are so strong!

If you love or care about someone with depression, it is so important to realise that you can't fix them. They can only fix themselves, you just have to be there to support them and pick them up when they fall. I may not act like I appreciate the people around me, but my problem isn't with them - it's with the voices inside my head that constantly tell me that I'm better off alone; that the world would be a better place without me in it. I just hope that everybody who is suffering can learn that the voice is wrong; myself included.

Sorry for rambling, I just really wanted to get this out. Lots of love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment